"I'll say this just once! Because I won't be holding back!"
All-you-can-eat, Chestnut Parfait
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (non-playable)
Second Lieutenant Makoto Nanaya (マコト＝ナナヤ) is a soldier for the Novus Orbis Librarium. Originally a spy for Sector Seven, Makoto was instrumental in the coup d'etat led by Kagura Mutsuki to enthrone Homura Amanohokosaka. As a squirrel-type demi-human, Makoto has faced racism and prejudice for most of her life, finding solace in her two closest friends - Noel Vermillion and Tsubaki Yayoi.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers & Techniques
- 4 Official Profiles
- 4.1 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Official Site Profile
- 4.2 BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site Profile
- 4.3 BlazBlue: Central Fiction Official Site Profile
- 4.4 BlazBlue: Central Fiction Library Entry
- 4.5 BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle Official Site Profile
- 4.6 BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site Profile
- 5 Appearances in other Media
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Makoto is a squirrel-type Demi-Human woman with a huge, fluffy tail, light brown hair colored with patterns similar to her tail, hazel eyes, and squirrel ears.
Makoto's combat outfit consists of a short halter top which covers only her upper torso and breasts, a very short orange skirt adorned with buckles which covers a black thong, orange fighting gloves, thigh-high black stockings with orange buckles, and similarly buckled orange boots with golden metal toes. Her weapons are two cross-shaped tonfas adorned with simple golden circle shapes.
While working for the NOL, Makoto wears a standard NOL uniform similar to Noel's, but colored black instead of blue, as she is a member of the intelligence division. After leaving the organization, Makoto instead wears a black and orange coat with a large zipper on top of her combat uniform. In the epilogue to Central Fiction, Makoto is once again working for the NOL. But instead of wearing the black NOL uniform of the intelligence division, she is now wearing the blue uniform of the NOL infantry division.
During her time at the Military Academy, Makoto wore the standard female uniform of the Academy, along with short blue socks and brown shoes.
As a child, Makoto wore tight black shorts and an orange tank top.
She has a bright, cheerful, and proactive personality. Although kind to everyone without restraint, there are times when she'll act based solely on intuition.
Makoto is bubbly, kind, and cheerful at all times. There is rarely ever a time when Makoto is not friendly towards someone, and rarer still are the times when she is serious. There are many times when she can act silly and absent minded, but there is a sharp intellect behind her mannerisms, and Makoto is keenly aware of her surroundings and the feelings of those around her.
Growing up, Makoto faced extreme racial prejudice because of her species. Over time, she began to feel hatred for humans, but would never resort to violence. There were times where she would be physically abused by humans her own age just because of her demi-human heritage, but Makoto's only retaliation would be verbal comments. Thanks to Noel and Tsubaki's kindness, she overcame her hatred. Relius Clover, however, has noted that deep within her soul that her hatred still persists.
Noel and Tsubaki are everything to Makoto. If anything were to happen to them, it would quite literally break her spirit. She has the ability to make friends easily thanks to her outgoing nature, and hates to see her own friends fight amongst one another. Makoto will do anything for those she loves, and is especially close to her large family.
In her spare time, Makoto can be found playing lacrosse or eating at all-you-can-eat buffets, two of her favourite activities.
Powers & Techniques
As she is a demi-human, Makoto's natural abilities are far stronger than that of a human. She has the physical strength to easily carry Tsubaki over her shoulder as if she weighs nothing, and sprint while carrying her. Makoto can easily punch huge craters into the ground with seemingly no effort - her physical abilities alone were enough to allow her admission into the Military Academy since her aptitude with Ars Magus is not exceptional.
Makoto's soul is sharp, pointing in all directions and has enough strength to warrant the interest of Relius. She can survive a journey through the Boundary thanks to her soul's power, and is even gifted with the Power of Order; Makoto gained this power through her determination and sheer will to protect her friends, allowing for her to resist Phenomenon Intervention, but it is nowhere near as strong as the power employed by Jin Kisaragi.
In battle, Makoto uses a pair of cross-shaped tonfa to augment her incredible natural abilities. Her in-game Drive is Impact, which allows her to charge her punches to deliver blows of various strengths. Makoto can create projectiles and summon large projections of her fists to deliver long-ranged blows.
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Official Site Profile
A squirrel beastkin. She comes from the lower levels of the city, but was able to take advantage of her unparalleled physical strength to enroll in the Military Academy. At first, she was bullied for her species and hometown, but with the support from her roommates Noel and Tsubaki, she was able to overcome it. Even though she is currently part of the Novus Orbis Librarium's Intelligence Department, she remains close friends with Noel and Tsubaki and still contacts them.
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site Profile
Makoto once acted as an intelligence agent for the Novus Orbis Librarium. After receiving all sorts of missions, she realized the dangers of the Librarium and defected to Sector Seven. There, she met the lead scientist of Sector Seven, Kokonoe, as well as her subordinate Tager, and now works alongside them. Now, she fights with her best friend Noel to save Tsubaki.
BlazBlue: Central Fiction Official Site Profile
A squirrel beastkin. She comes from the lower levels of the city, but was able to take advantage of her unparalleled physical strength to enroll in the Military Academy. At first, she was bullied for her species and hometown, but with the support from her roommates Noel and Tsubaki, she was able to overcome it. She is currently part of the Novus Orbis Librarium's Intelligence Department, but...?
BlazBlue: Central Fiction Library Entry
- Makoto Nanaya
A squirrel beastkin girl.
She was born in the lower levels of the city, but with her unprecedented physical strength and prowess, she enters the Military Academy. At first, bullying was common, given her beastkin nature, but that ends when she met Noel and Tsubaki, her roommates.
Shyness is not part of her vocabulary, as she's kind to everyone around her. She's passionate about her friends, and would never forgive someone who hurts them. Her energy level is always at 120%, and generally she sets the mood for the group. Seldom does she overthink or strategize before driving into the thick of a situation.
She has taken on several dangerous missions as an intelligence agent in the NOL, and plots to make contact with Sector Seven. During that process, she crosses paths with the lead scientist, Kokonoe, and her subordinate Tager. Before long, Makoto joins their cause.
However, concerned about Tsubaki, who recently fell to the Imperator's curse, she convinces Noel to escape Sector Seven to save their mutual friend, together.
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle Official Site Profile
A young girl and a squirrel beastkin. Bright and cheerful, she is regularly a positive personality. She's not shy and can be kind to anyone, but there are also times when she acts purely based on instinct.
An infighter who uses fists and tonfa to fight. With Asteroid Vision, bewitch the opponent and settle the fight up close!
BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site Profile
Bright and filled with energy, she has a proactive personality. She doesn't judge based on looks and will be kind to anyone, but there are times when she'll act based solely on intuition.
Appearances in other Media
- In Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, Mila has a DLC collaboration costume based on Makoto's outfit.
- The mobile game Mabinogi Duel stars Makoto as a playable card.
- The PSVita music app NAX Music Player has Makoto as purchasable background skin.
- The iOS/Android game Venus Eleven Vivid! has Makoto as a playable character.
- In the Border Break Scramble X BlazBlue collaboration, Makoto's outfit is available for a playable character in Border Break.
- In the BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Character Poll, Makoto placed 11th out of the 84 candidates. She scored one place above Lambda-11 and one place below Es. She had 2,434 votes.
- Makoto's movelist has a naming theme based around outer space.
- According to creator Toshimichi Mori, Makoto has the second biggest breasts in the series, only behind Litchi Faye-Ling.
- Makoto shares her English voice actress, Cindy Robinson, with Gii.
- It is heavily implied, although not stated outright, that Makoto is LGBT, possibly being bisexual.
- Makoto is the first DLC character in the BlazBlue series, originally being released for BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
- BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site (JP), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Alter Memory, Episode 9 - The Power of Order
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, Character Introduction Trailer #5
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction Consumer Edition Official Site (JP), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site (US), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site (EU), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Story Mode, Makoto Nanaya - Slight hope, Bad Ending
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Story Mode, Carl Clover - Relatives
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Arcade Mode, Makoto Nanaya - Act II
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend Official Site (JP), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site (JP), Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction Consumer Edition Official Site (JP), Story - Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Library Mode, Character #017
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle Official Website (JP), Characters, Makoto Nanaya
- BlazBlue: Remix Heart, Chapter 02
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Story Mode, Episode 011, Chapter 090