"Sis, looks like we'll be able to see something interesting."
Last Vigilante 
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (playable)
Carl Clover (カルル＝クローバー) is the current wielder of the Nox Nyctores – Deus Machina: Nirvana, an unfortunate victim of circumstance, and an exceptionally talented young man. Carl is a top rate vigilante who masterfully snares his targets with Nirvana to help bring them to justice. His sister, Ada Clover, is the subject of his admiration, but her transformation into the Nox has forced him to seek ways to save her. For this reason, Carl seeks out the Azure Grimoire, as it might be one of the only viable methods towards saving her.
He is one of the original playable twelve characters who debuted in BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Techniques
- 4 Relatives
- 5 Official Profiles
- 5.1 BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Site Profile
- 5.2 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Official Site Profile
- 5.3 BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site Profile
- 5.4 BlazBlue: Central Fiction Official Site Profile
- 5.5 BlazBlue: Central Fiction Library Entry
- 5.6 BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site Profile
- 6 Appearances in other Media
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
Carl is a slim, young boy with fair skin, blue eyes and blond hair. On his head, he wears a pair of rimless, circular glasses, as well as a large purple top hat with a metal plate fastened on its left side with a brown strap and gold screws.
Carl's outfit consists of a white shirt with purple cuffs and trimmings, underneath a purple waistcoat, it's draped over by a purple cape, which is held together by a 'X' shaped fixture with gold buttons, the fixture has a large gold cowbell hanging from it. Additionally, he wears purple shorts with white cuffs, white gloves and purple military styled boots that have a light purple cross along the tongue of the boots, silver toe caps and a gold screw fixture attached to them.
During his time at the Military Academy, Carl wore the standard male uniform, but with shorts, white socks and brown shoes.
After peering into the Boundary and losing his left eye, Carl no longer wears his glasses, instead wearing a silver half mask, similar in design to his fathers over his left eye and a monocle on his right eye.
More mature than his age would suggest, Carl can handle any difficulty that comes his way with skill and speed. Polite and friendly, he is always smiling — even in the heat of battle.
Headstrong and intelligent are two words that succinctly describe the bravado that Carl often shows. His behaviour is often courteous and gentlemanly to both friends and enemies alike, and he will often demonstrate his linguistic capabilities. That said, his manner belies that of a child who has lost his family, and he'll often be driven to the very edges of his mental limits thanks to the cruel circumstances that plague his life. Because of the trauma received by his father's treatment of his family, Carl has a deep mistrust on adults. For Carl, most adults are stupid, selfish and usually outright evil, although Litchi and Bang seems to be an exception for him. As a wielder of a Nox Nyctores, Carl has side effects that often come into play, such as an incredible and insatiable desire to attack others under the guise that his sister commanded him to attack. This mental instability clashes heavily with his otherwise sophisticated behaviour.
Being inside the Embryo changed Carl deeply. He became truly obsessed with saving Ada, and was ready to murder anyone in his way - something that his sister would do to stop, even if it was for her. Eventually, Carl had cut off ties to everyone, and now views them as objects, becoming the perfect heir to his father's legacy.
Powers and Techniques
Carl is a gifted wielder of the Deus Machina: Nirvana despite his young age and fragile appearance. The two make a perfect pair as Nirvana's wide array of options are perfectly complimented by Carl's different knights that he keeps with him to attack an opponent; as a testament to this, Carl's strength is enough to even keep up with the likes of Izayoi. When fighting alongside his parents, Relius and Ignis, Carl and Nirvana are nigh unbeatable. His Drive in the game is called Automaton, which allows him to control Nirvana.
However, Carl is, as mentioned before, rather fragile, and can easily succumb to his wounds. His single-minded determination to acquire something can make him overlook crucial information at times. On top of this, Hakumen has suggested that Nirvana amplifies his bloodlust, making this crux additionally difficult to overcome. When desperate enough, Carl will even enlist the help of sketchy narcotics in order to temporarily amplify his strength, even if they have devastating side effects.
|Relius Clover||Ignis Clover||Francis and Rosenne|
Unknown which is Ignis' sibling
|Ada Clover||Carl Clover|
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Site Profile
A Vigilante belonging to the highest class. Although young, he has excels in both talent and skill. Alongside a mysterious doll named Nirvana, he eliminates criminals. After receiving information about the great criminal "Ragna the Bloodedge," he heads for Kagutsuchi.
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Official Site Profile
A boy who works as a bounty-hunting Vigilante. He pursues the "Azure Grimoire" in order to regain his true sister "Ada." He tracks its owner, Ragna the Bloodgedge while accompanied by the self-moving automaton and Causality Weapon "Nirvana."
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site Profile
A boy who works as a bounty-hunting Vigilante, accompanied by the self-moving automaton and Causality Weapon "Nirvana." He travels to Ikaruga in order to search for the owner of the Azure Grimoire, Ragna the Bloodedge, and Kokonoe, who knows about Casuality Weapons. That place — where Ignis was created.
BlazBlue: Central Fiction Official Site Profile
A young Vigilante, who nonetheless excels in both talent and skill. Controlling a mysterious doll named Nirvana, he eliminates criminals. In order to cure his sister's illness, he sets his eyes on the "Grim Reaper" who possesses the "Azure Grimoire."
BlazBlue: Central Fiction Library Entry
- Carl Clover
A young boy who is one of the highest-ranking Vigilantes.
Due to his talents, he was invited by the NOL to attend the Military Academy as an honor student. His aptitude for Ars Magus is unprecedented. Although he was in the academy while Noel and Jin were there, he eventually left.
His thought process is mature for his age, and he is able to swiftly and cleverly perform in almost any situation. The abandonment by his own kin results in distrust towards all adults, festering certain aggression within him. However, he maintains a graceful façade in front of his targets, never letting them see his true colors.
He fights alongside the automation, ‘Nirvana,' and has a deep, abnormal affection for her. Perhaps because his sister Ada is in fact the framework upon which Nirvana is constructed.
Carl seeks the Azure Grimoire, believing it is the only way to save his sister Ada from her fate. He sets his sights on two targets: Ragna the Bloodedge and Kokonoe…and his journey takes him to Ikaruga.
Though full of hatred towards his father, Relius Clover, Carl lowers his blade with his father's promise that he will one day reconstruct Ada.
BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site Profile
Although young, Carl is an excellent Vigilante with a mature thought process, who takes care of any and all matters with both speed and wit. Normally, he upholds proper etiquette and never stops smiling; even in front of a target. On the other hand, the Nox Nyctores that he uses, "Deus Machina: Nirvana", holds Carl's sister and Relius' daughter "Ada" within it.
Appearances in other Media
- The mobile game, Mabinogi Duel, stars Carl as a playable card
- In the BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Character Poll, Carl placed 36th out of the 84 candidates, being the lowest scoring character of the original Calamity Trigger cast. He scored one place above Taro Sasaga'e and one place below Valkenhayn R. Hellsing and Mu-12. He had 542 votes.
- Carl's birthday is Children's Day in Japan and Korea.
- All of Carl's moveset is named after various musical terms in Italian.
- Carl is one of three characters whose Japanese voice actors have not appeared in Blue Radio. The other two are Amane Nishiki and Valkenhayn.
- Carl never physically touches his opponents. Either Nirvana or small puppets attack for him.
- The puppets summoned by Carl in gameplay appear to be based on chess pieces. This is supported by unused audio files in Calamity Trigger in which he calls out the names of pieces found in the game.
- Additionally, one of Carl's hobbies is playing chess.
- BlazBlue 10th Anniversary Official Site, Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Arcade Mode, Mai Natsume Victory Quote Vs Carl Clover, Act III
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction Consumer Edition Official Site (JP), Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site (US), Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Site (JP), Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend Official Site (JP), Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Official Site (JP), Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction Consumer Edition Official Site (JP), Story - Carl Clover
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Library Mode, Character #010