The Amanohokosaka Clan is a clan of exorcists that has existed prior to recorded history. The clan has been historically influential, with two members of the clan having held the highest position in the Novus Orbis Librarium, Imperator. The clan has had several goals over its lifetime, including the protection of Wadatsumi, and, eventually, the protection of Japan and the sealing of demons. 
There are five families within the clan. Amanohokosaka is the head of the family, with their branch families being Terumi, Hikagami, Hajou, and Kagetatsu.
The beginning of the Amanohokosaka Clan is told through a story passed down in each generation. It begins with the Azure Shrine Maiden, a woman who had the innate ability to communicate with the Azure and through it, gain incredible knowledge. She communicated with a cauldron and a Black Beast emerged; she drew the Beast back into the Boundary, sacrificing herself in the process. From this point onward, her family guarded the lands where the Beast had arisen.
Thousands of years later, most of the clan had forgotten this duty. The Magic Guild ridiculed the clan and attempted to destroy them, and the clan, in an attempt to secure money and power, sold Wadatsumi to Takamagahara. In 2040, the Wadatsumi Incident occurred, and the family suffered greatly because of it. The Shrine Maiden of the time, Sui Amanohokosaka, disappeared and was presumed deceased. Her husband's soul was taken from his body, leaving his body behind. Takamagahara disbanded and the Amanohokosaka were left on the brink of collapse. The Mitsurugi Agency intervened, lending their support to the clan in exchange for the powers that Mei Amanohokosaka possessed. She became the current Shrine Maiden and was employed into the Agency's personal army, Sleipnir. 
Through Mei's own efforts, the clan was revived. Five years before the Bloodedge Experience events, the Drive Soul Eater manifested in Saya Terumi, a girl belonging to the Terumi branch of the clan. She senselessly slaughtered everyone except the branch's heir, Naoto Kurogane. Mei was able to stop her, and imprisoned Saya within the Amanohokosaka home. However, Saya's power overwhelmed the others and she was eventually freed. 
Many years after the Dark War, Tenjo Amanohokosaka was made the Imperator of the Novus Orbis Librarium. She did her best to keep to pacifism, but was forced into the Ikaruga Civil War. She was killed at the war's climax by Jin Kisaragi as a result of the machinations of Yuuki Terumi, Hazama, and Relius Clover, and she was replaced as Imperator by Izanami.
Tenjo's child, Homura Amanohokosaka, was smuggled out of the 8th Hierarchical City of Wadatsumi by Kagura Mutsuki, and was eventually enthroned as the new Imperator of the NOL. Homura remains in this position in the new world created by Ragna the Bloodedge.
Within the Amanohokosaka Clan, there are five families.
- Amanohokosaka - the head family. A Shrine Maiden is chosen every generation to lead the clan.
- Terumi - a branch family that is largely extinct bar for two members - Naoto Kurogane and Saya Terumi. The heir of this branch is determined by the possession of the Eye of the Hunter.
- Azure Shrine Maiden - the original Amanohokosaka Shrine Maiden; deceased
- Sui Amanohokosaka - Mei's mother and previous Shrine Maiden
- Mei Amanohokosaka - current Shrine Maiden in XBlaze and Bloodedge Experience
- Tenjo Amanohokosaka - previous Imperator of the NOL; deceased
- Homura Amanohokosaka - current Imperator of the NOL
- Naoto Kurogane - current heir to the Terumi branch; possesses the Eye of the Hunter
- Saya Terumi - member of the Terumi branch
- Haruka Hayami - distant relation through the Terumi branch
- Yuki Hayami - distant relation through the Terumi branch
- Both Yuuki Terumi and Kiiro Hikagami are not confirmed members of the Amanohokosaka Clan despite their last names.
- BlazBlue: Bloodedge Experience - Part 2, Chapter 7 - Siblings
- XBlaze Code: Embryo, TIPS - Azure Shrine Maiden
- XBlaze Code: Embryo, Es & Hinata Route Episode 7
- BlazBlue: Bloodedge Experience - Part 2, Chapter 8 - Speculation
- BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Episode 012, Chapter 100